As a pediatric nurse, your main job will be assisting a pediatrician, or some other kind of pediatric healthcare provider, in his or her day to day practice activities. If you love working with children and you take pride in caring for young children, becoming a pediatric nurse could be an excellent career for you. When it comes down to it, becoming a pediatric nurse has a number of amazing perks that can allow you to enjoy your career and your quality of life. When it comes down to it, what another kind of career can afford you so much satisfaction? Here are five pediatric nursing career perks and benefits.
- The challenge. Working as a nurse can be challenging, but working as a pediatric nurse can be a challenge like you've never experienced before. Anybody that has been around kids can tell you that they can be fussy sometimes. Well, imagine working with them in the capacity of a healthcare facility, like a hospital or health clinic. With immunizations, checkups and all the other things that bring children to see a pediatrician, you can imagine how difficult it can be. However, just knowing that you have the strength to overcome those challenges can be really rewarding.
- Easy to manage to schedule. In most cases, pediatric nurses can decide when they want to work. While nurses are required to work a certain number of hours a day - nurses can still devise their own schedule. For instance, if you think you'd like to try out the night shift at the hospital, you can - the same goes for the various day shifts that may be available. You can also decide when you want to take a few days off - every pediatric nurse is required to take a few days off.
- Lots of options. As a pediatric nurse, you have numerous opportunities to work in a variety of different healthcare facilities. If you have just completed the University of Cincinnati's online NP program, you have the option of working in a hospital, a clinic or even in a private doctor's office. At the end of the day, you can try out a few settings before you set your sights on just one. For instance, you may find that you like working in the hustle and bustle environment of a hospital versus a private clinic.
- You can be a nurse anywhere. After you have your degree, it is really easy to become a nurse in other states. You may even be qualified for a non-profit job that can take you out of the country. If you are restlessly adventurous, becoming a pediatric nurse is a great career for you.
- Knowing that you made a difference. Just knowing that you made a young child feel better, or knowing that you helped a young child feel more comfortable, is incredibly rewarding. At the end of the day, there are not a lot of positions that give you this kind of unique opportunity. As a pediatric nurse, it will usually be you who the doctor relies on to make patients feel comfortable and to make certain procedures as painless as possible.
Related: Top 9 Music Management Strategies